Recap: 2017 International Research Conference on TSC and LAM
The 2017 International Research Conference on TSC and LAM: Innovating Through Partnerships was an astounding success! More than 230 researchers, clinicians, nurses and advocacy group leaders attended, coming from 27 different countries. The meeting took place in Washington, DC from June 22-24.
The program book, with abstracts for all talks and posters, is available on our Research Conferences page. A full conference summary will be available soon.
The conference included several distinguished speakers and honorees:
- Julian Sampson, DM, FRCP, FMedSci (Cardiff University) and Chris Kingswood, MBBS, FRCP (Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust) received the TSC Alliance’s Manuel R. Gomez Award for their contributions to TSC research and clinical care.
- Lisa Young, MD (Vanderbilt University) received The LAM Foundation’s Scientific Advancement Award for her commitment to research and treatment of LAM patients.
- David Sabatini, PhD (Whitehead Institute, Massachusetts Institute of Technology) gave a keynote address entitled “Regulation of Growth by the mTOR Pathway,” in which he discussed the latest mTOR science as well as his path to the field.
- Walter Koroshetz, MD (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke) and James Kiley, PhD (Division of Lung Diseases, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute) gave opening remarks at the conference dinner. (Dr. Kiley’s slides are available on our Research Conferences page.)
- 14 early-career researchers were presented with the Francis G. Byrnes and Vicky H. Whittemore Travel Award.